Many of us lead busy lives. Regardless if you work or are a stay at home mom or dad or a student who is constantly trying to juggle study habits to meet homework deadlines, stress will eventually begin to take its toll, and that ís not healthy. If your busy life turns into one filled with stress and anxiety it can then lead to maladies such as headaches, obesity due to emotional eating, gastrointestinal related issues and the list can go on, which is why people everywhere need to discover what works best to clear the clutter from the mind to learn to enjoy the true art of relaxation.
What Is Relaxation?
The dictionary definition of relaxation is:
1. The state of being free from tension and anxiety.
2. Physics: the restoration of equilibrium following disturbance.
Life is full of tension and anxiety. Disturbance is typical in most people’s lives, as the job, kids, financial difficulties, stress, anxiety, grief and loss, and a plethora of other issues can cause the inner peace necessary to thrive and deal with such becomes imbalanced.
Some people are so busy they don’t even realize they’re stressed, but it shows. Even if you can’t see it others around you are bound to notice, especially if you find yourself snapping at anyone who asks you a question or experiencing bouts of road rage or you’re swallowing anti-anxiety medication every time your head feels like it’s about to explode.
How To Relax?
Relaxation can be achieved in different ways, depending on who you ask:
- Sitting for 15 minutes (or more) listening to one of my audio meditations.
- Practice a gentle, restorative yoga class with me.
- For some nothing says relax like lying back in a steamy tub filled with bubbles, sipping a glass of wine.
- For others it may be a stroll in the park or a vigorous workout on the stair stepper.
- Others find relaxation in sitting down with a good book.
- Many find relaxation at the gym with a full workout.
- Nature brings a feeling of peace and relaxation for people too.
- An art form is any activity regarded as a medium of imaginative or creative self-expression, so equate that definition into relaxation time.
- Romance and getaways can also help to restore imbalance that is caused by stress in life.
Anyone can spend time in a hot bath to squeeze in a little me-time, but really use your imagination to put some effort into turning me-time into a creative expression like drawing or writing.
Meditation For Relaxation
One of the ways that millions find time to relax anywhere and anytime is through meditation. The meditation process allows you to use your mind as an escape from all the stressors of life. Through breathing and mindfulness one can achieve the ultimate solace and bring balance and peace back to the inner self.
Meditation is a practice used by many large corporations to improve the productivity and well-being of executives who have high stress jobs.
It has been proven to work in numerous settings and might be the perfect method to relax and regain balance as it only requires a short time and can be done anywhere where it is quiet.
You Are Worth It!
Life can be tough, but that is when you have to look in the mirror and tell yourself I need to do something just for me besides a soak in the tub. Reevaluate priorities and priority number one on everyone’s list is health. If it’s not it should be. Without your health you can’t work or play, so never underestimate the art of relaxation. It can literally add years to your busy life.
The next time you find yourself reaching for your medication because life has proven once again to have caused you angst, think first “what else can I do to make this headache go away”? Sitting quietly with yourself in meditation can relieve the pressure in your life that's causing pressure in your head.
In fact, again focusing on the crux of creativity and inner expression, perhaps you and a few friends can have a night in which everyone brings a dish and you sit around to play cards or charades or trivia or Monopoly.
There are so many great ideas. There is bound to be something that you can plan to do regularly that’s creative, rejuvenating, and above all relaxing that will optimize for you in your life the art of relaxation.